Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just wondering if this is my final finish or am I missing something, I googled other projects (Coasters) and they all seem to have a better finished surface? Could it be the wood type, not sure if it is Jarrah or Iron Bark (Australian Mate LOL :icon_smile:)

I finished it oil, multiple coatings.

Regards
Joos

Attachments

·
Registered
27,765 Posts
I think the problem you are having is it's end grain. It will take many many coats of the oil to completely fill the grain. Just give it ample drying time and keep applying the oil. What kind of oil are you using?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Believe it or not the only oil I had was olive oil. I was actually busy prepping a food prep board when the idea struck for coasters. I suppose if I waited till the shops opened I could have used something more suitable. End grain makes perfectly sense. I have a bit of the wood left I'll cut it with the grain and see how that turns out. Well once it has cooled down 44*C atm outside in the shade

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Olive oil is not a good choice as a finish treatment. It has little resistance to water vapor and provides no resistance to abrasion. Further, it will turn rancid over time and begin to emit odors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts