Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm working on a little project as a hobby. I'm building a scaled down version of the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. I'm first creating the hardwood basketball court with square toothpicks... I'd like to put some sort of finish on top when I'm done stenciling the court to give it a glossy finish like the actual hardwood court has. Any suggestions?? I'm still in the early phases of planning and construction, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
26,896 Posts
I believe I would laminate the floor together into a sheet, sand it and finish it before inserting it into Wells Fargo Center. I would probably seal it with Zinsser Sealcoat, then do your stenciling work and then topcoat it. That way if something went wrong with the stencil, you could clean it off rather than it soaking into the wood.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
gloss lacquer.......and by the way...you can't say your building that and not show some pictures....

·
Registered
26,896 Posts
Since you are gluing the matchsticks together, it might make it easier to glue them onto a thin piece of cardboard or Masonite using wood glue. I never did care much for super glue using it on wood and working on something that small if I did it would glue my fingers together. Once glued together the surface would be irregular in shape as a glued up panel would be. Most matches are made from aspen wood and should be easily sanded so I would use an orbital sander and sand them flat. Then if you were to attempt to stencil any design on the wood it would likely bleed out around the edges staining the wood making the design fuzzy. That is why I recommended sealing the wood with Zinsser Sealcoat. Once sealed the stencil should have crisp edges and if it didn't come out right you should be able to sand the stencil off without it staining the wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts