Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several carved spoons and a couple of bowls to finish and I wanted to use an oil/wax combination.

Has anyone used raw linseed oil with beeswax or paraffin wax? I’m aware of the mineral oil/beeswax formula but mineral oil never dries and I’d rather have something fully cured.

Will the wax come off when used in cooking hot food (i.e. boiling water, stew, etc…)
above it‘s melting point?

Also has anyone added food coloring or other (non-toxic) coloring agent to their finishing mixture?

If so, how did it work out?

Thanks,
Rock

·
Registered
373 Posts
There is no commonly available finish that won't be damaged by temperatures over the boiling point of water. If you are going to use wooden utensils at those temperatures don't finish them.

Jerry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A finish will help protect the item from cracking or splitting due to taking in water and drying out (the main reason it is recommended to wash wooden ware by hand and not in a dishwasher) Obviously one would not leave a spoon in boiling water for too long as they are mostly used to stir for a few seconds at a time. A finish, even one that needs to be reapplied occasionally, is better then no finish.

I appreciate any comments regarding the questions asked.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hardening oils

I had a bunch of scrap maple and made the wife several spatula type wooden utensils. I have always soaked spoons and such in mineral oil and found it greatly extended their life (and appearance). Lately, I've been playing with tung oil, since it is a hardening oil. I've never tried "raw lindseed oil" (flax seed oil) and have always avoided lindseed oil because of the additives (heavy metals).

I've had good luck with walnut cooking oil and it, also is a hardening oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts