Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my clear coat in then sand with 320gr very lightly, then apply a second and if I stop with two i sand with 400gr to finish if not I use 320 again then 420 on the third. I'm having a problem with the ends looking dusty when I'm finished. Is there a trick to not making them look dusty. I'm using minwax poly. Oil based and when I stain I also use oil based stain

·
Registered
26,357 Posts
As best as I can guess from your description I think you are leaving sanding dust in the end grain and then applying a finish over it. If you have compressed air you might start blowing the sanding dust out of the grain. Another option would be to rinse with water and let dry or use a tack cloth. If you just can't get the dust off you might wipe it with a stain and wipe off the excess with mineral spirits and let dry. If it is an open grain wood like oak or walnut it would help if you raised the grain with water and sand the wood to 220 grit before finishing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve Neul said:
As best as I can guess from your description I think you are leaving sanding dust in the end grain and then applying a finish over it. If you have compressed air you might start blowing the sanding dust out of the grain. Another option would be to rinse with water and let dry or use a tack cloth. If you just can't get the dust off you might wipe it with a stain and wipe off the excess with mineral spirits and let dry. If it is an open grain wood like oak or walnut it would help if you raised the grain with water and sand the wood to 220 grit before finishing.
I'll definitely give those a shot. I did think I am leaving dust and coating over it. I was wiping it with a damp cloth then letting it dry and coating over it but I'm kind of wondering if when I do that I'm raising the grain and letting the dust get into it. I'm going to pick up some compressed air tomorrow and see if that works. Fingers crossed and thanks for the tip

1 - 3 of 3 Posts