Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am making new cabinet doors for our kitchen out of 3/4 inch red oak veneered plywood. I want to repair the light chips in the edge of the veneer for finishing. I will be staining with Minwax and then using satin poly to seal. Which will give me the best results: Do I use a wood filler that will take the stain, or do I stain the doors first, and then fill with a wood filler colored to match? Product recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

--tom
Connecticut, USA

·
Registered
419 Posts
Chips in veneered plywood

are difficult to conceal. One thing I have done in the past (don't use too much of the stuff, use mostly solid wood) is sand the chipped edge with a piece of sandpaper on a block of wood. I held it at a 45 degree angle to the face and lightly sanded until the chips were blended in. Yes, it produced a line at the joint but it's uniform appearance looked planned and added a level of detail that improved the look of the final product. I then stained with min wax Golden Oak and sealed with 6 coats of gloss lacquer (sprayed). The unit is still very much appreciated by its owners.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts