Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start making some boxes. Should I finish my wood first and then glued it all together or should I just put it together then finish? It seems easier to me to finish it first but didn't know if that would cause problems when it's time to put things together

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gene Howe said:
Finish after assembly.
What's the easiest and best way to get into the corners to sand? I have a corner cat sander but it's still too big to get in there. Most of the bottoms on the inside of the boxes will be felt but the walls of the box will still be wood and will need a good way to sand those. I'm not so much worried about the finishing part of the sanding process as I am about the sanding I do before I actually apply stain and poly. I want to make sure I get as good of a sanding for that as I would with my sander or do you think I should just sand the boards then assemble then do all of my finishing process

·
bzguy
581 Posts
If your lumber has been dimensioned, planed flat, you should finish sand the inside, assemble, then finish sand the exterior to correct any assembly discrepancies.
Then do the finishing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bzguy said:
If your lumber has been dimensioned, planed flat, you should finish sand the inside, assemble, then finish sand the exterior to correct any assembly discrepancies.
Then do the finishing.
Got it. I'll give it a try this week

1 - 5 of 5 Posts