Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started making a walnut gunstock but dont know how to finish it. I have been looking into just using danish oil but I dont know how to fill the grain. I have heard of people using the danish oil and sanding with the oil to let the oil/sanding dust slurry fill the grain. If this method was used how EXACTLY is it done and is it done before or after rubbing the multiple coats of oil for the actual finish? I want a gloss finish so will I need to use some fotten stone or pummice to polish the oil finish? If so how is this done.

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
I think tung oil would make a better oil finish for a gun stock. Tung oil is waterproof where the danish oil isn't. Tung oil is more time consuming to use though. It may take a week or more drying time between coats to use. The best way to tell when a coat is dry enough to recoat is to briskly rub the finish with a clean cloth and see if the tung oil smell transfers to the rag. When there is no smell it's ready. Anyway you can apply the danish or tung oil with a lint free rag and just let dry. It's also helpful if when it's dry you sand it with 220 grit or finer paper between coats.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I did a savage 99 stock last year. Truoil is what I used. Worked great. I used a filler for grain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ill definately look more into truoil. I have also heard of some stock makers spraying automotive clear coat and getying an extremely beautiful finish I cant find any information on exactly how durable and how to do this ive just heard a lot of stories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.