Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost at the finishing stage of a small purple heart chest with tiger maple top and bottom. Normaly I apply BLO, a couple coats of a clear shelac and then I buff on some wax.

Will this work well for my current project? Just kinda curious as I have not worked with purple heart like this before.

Thanks in Advance,

JJ

Attachments

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
I suggest you make some samples on some scrap first to see what you like. The purpleheart will turn brown over time with a finish on it. In the rain forrest they leave the purpleheart unfinished and it keeps its purple color. If you want to keep the color as long as possible you need to use something with strong UV blockers in it.

·
Registered
26,333 Posts
I would rather advoid as much yellowing as possible. Any suggestions on something that can be used instead of shellac?
If you are applying the finish by hand I would recommend using a water based polyurethane. If you have the means of spraying then I would use a cab-acrylic lacquer. These finishes will go on clear and stay clear. Shellac will remain pretty clear over time but will yellow more initially. You might make some samples and see for yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts