Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a long time since I have posted.

Have a question about finishing a brand new pine kitchen table we just had built.

Amongst other options, I am considering using General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish. Last year I made a dozen maple cutting boards and used that product and they came out beautiful. I know I CAN use the Salad Bowl finish I am just curious to get feedback on whether there is any downside or problems doing so.

Thanks

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Been a long time since I have posted.

Have a question about finishing a brand new pine kitchen table we just had built.

Amongst other options, I am considering using General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish. Last year I made a dozen maple cutting boards and used that product and they came out beautiful. I know I CAN use the Salad Bowl finish I am just curious to get feedback on whether there is any downside or problems doing so.

Thanks
If you like that finish, it would work. A wiping version of an oil base interior varnish, or oil base polyurethane would also work. If you can spray, you have other choices...lacquer, conversion varnish, or waterbase polyurethane.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
The only downside to a salad bowl finish is it won't be as water resistant as some other finishes. The salad bowl finish would certainly be easier to apply.

·
Registered
42 Posts
General finishes salad bowl finish is fairly water resistant but if you want super water resistance you can apply shellac first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts