Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is my first post ever on this forum.

I'm working on making a mini wooden sword, except I don't want the wood texture to show as the finished product.

Basically, I'm here to ask, as a complete beginner, how to paint the sword (as well as what paint to use), how to prepare the wood for the painting, and how to add a polyurethane finish to make the entire product shiny (or if there's something else I should use, please tell me, I will appreciate it very much).

My main goal is to have a colorful, glossy sword as a finished product. I dislike the plain-wood-look, and I dislike the rough and scratchy paint-alone-finish even more.

I've tried to do as much research as I can, but I realized that my questions are so specific that I needed to join a forum.

I am using poplar wood for my project.

I'll ask another forum topic how to cut the wood, so assume that I have the finished product, simply raw-cut and shaped wood.

First off, let me list off some things that I don't understand/don't know

+How should I sand the wood to prepare it for the paint?

+I believe that I am supposed to add a primer. How thick should it be?

+What kind of paint should I use to make a complicated design on the sword? I don't just want one color, I want to paint pictures on it and such. I already have very fine brushes, but I'm not experienced with painting wood, just canvases.

+After I've finished painting, how will I go about adding a glossy cover on top? I have a polyurethane finish(water based), but is that appropriate to put on top of paint?

+On various tutorials, I've heard people say that you need to add several layers of finish. They say that you need to sand the previous layer in order to prepare the material for the next layer. I don't understand this, can somebody explain it to me?

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Hey, this is my first post ever on this forum.

I'm working on making a mini wooden sword, except I don't want the wood texture to show as the finished product.

Basically, I'm here to ask, as a complete beginner, how to paint the sword (as well as what paint to use), how to prepare the wood for the painting, and how to add a polyurethane finish to make the entire product shiny (or if there's something else I should use, please tell me, I will appreciate it very much).

My main goal is to have a colorful, glossy sword as a finished product. I dislike the plain-wood-look, and I dislike the rough and scratchy paint-alone-finish even more.

I've tried to do as much research as I can, but I realized that my questions are so specific that I needed to join a forum.

I am using poplar wood for my project.

I'll ask another forum topic how to cut the wood, so assume that I have the finished product, simply raw-cut and shaped wood.

First off, let me list off some things that I don't understand/don't know

+How should I sand the wood to prepare it for the paint?

+I believe that I am supposed to add a primer. How thick should it be?

+What kind of paint should I use to make a complicated design on the sword? I don't just want one color, I want to paint pictures on it and such. I already have very fine brushes, but I'm not experienced with painting wood, just canvases.

+After I've finished painting, how will I go about adding a glossy cover on top? I have a polyurethane finish(water based), but is that appropriate to put on top of paint?

+On various tutorials, I've heard people say that you need to add several layers of finish. They say that you need to sand the previous layer in order to prepare the material for the next layer. I don't understand this, can somebody explain it to me?

OK first off those words I put in bold are fighting words on a woodworking forum. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Next up is this is a fairly complicated question for your first post so answer a few more questions for better answers.

What is the size of this small sword and what tools do you
have?

What kind of paint you using acrylic or maybe latex comes to
mind since you said a you have a polyurethane finish
(water based)

See things like that matter so we can help determine how to make and finish it along with what tools to use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts