Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this project a few weeks ago before I started the finishing process. I promised I would post more pics when I got done so here they are. You should know that the finish was not my idea, it was the customer's. I told my wife I wouldn't pay $5 for this thing at a garage sale but this is what she wanted. The top is sprayed with black lacquer. The leg/stretcher was coated with a black primer and then took 5 coats of Valspar's Gold Metal Patina Glaze. I then sanded some areas to rough it up and expose some of the black underneath. I then put on a coat of Mohawk's Van **** Brown Finishers Glaze. The whole thing was then sprayed with semi-gloss lacquer. This was a challenging project for me but I'm glad I'm done with it. I'm ready to move onto something new.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
There's no accounting for taste:glare: and there's no hiding a truly crafted piece of work, very, very nice work:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:icon_smile: :smile: :icon_smile:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I posted this project a few weeks ago before I started the finishing process. I promised I would post more pics when I got done so here they are. You should know that the finish was not my idea, it was the customer's. I told my wife I wouldn't pay $5 for this thing at a garage sale but this is what she wanted. The top is sprayed with black lacquer. The leg/stretcher was coated with a black primer and then took 5 coats of Valspar's Gold Metal Patina Glaze. I then sanded some areas to rough it up and expose some of the black underneath. I then put on a coat of Mohawk's Van **** Brown Finishers Glaze. The whole thing was then sprayed with semi-gloss lacquer. This was a challenging project for me but I'm glad I'm done with it. I'm ready to move onto something new.

Hey, I think it looks really Super GOOD! I'll bet the Customer is happy with it!(?)

Nice job! Thanks for the update!

Have a good one!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the kind words. PK, the legs and stretchers were made separately and then joined with glue and dowels. The legs were cut from some glued up poplar. I cut them just like you would cabriole legs. I rabbeted out the upper back so that there was a ledge for the table top to sit in. Making it all come together consisted of a lot of sanding and shaping. I hope these pictures will give you a better idea of how it was done.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well that's quite nicely done. Getting all that together and still having it sit flat is an accomplishment.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Excellent craftsmanship on that job!

Yeah, the paint finish the customer wanted would have made me want to hurl too. Kinda begs the question of 'why use wood?' I know she couldn't have gotten that design any other way, but that thing just wants to be made from plastic.

But then I'm a purist. I never use even stain unless it's the customer request, or I'm matching existing woodwork. And paint and wood should exist on different planets.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Boardman,

I'm with you on that. Why stain beautiful wood? I'll agree the customer here was a nut, but in the end it still looks like a well made table and he/she is happy with it, which is all we can really ask for with these types of things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words. Needless to say I'm glad to be done with this. It's been on again off again for a few months. I was ready to move onto something new. It was intriguing to build since I hadn't done a lot of the things that were required to get this thing together. It was certainly my most challenging project to date.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts