Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a small walnut shadow box for a friend and after applying the first coat of danish oil finish the lid separated from the the wall of the box at one corner. The gap is only about the thickness of printer paper and extends about an inch in both directions from the corner.

My first idea for fixing this was to fill the crack with a sawdust/glue or epoxy mixture but I wasn't sure how well this would ahear with the danish oil applied. My second idea was to cut the corner like a spline miter joint and add a spline to eliminate the gap. I am not sure how deep danish oil penetrates into wood so again I'm not sure if the finish would prevent the spline from forming a strong glue joint.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
26,202 Posts
I made a small walnut shadow box for a friend and after applying the first coat of danish oil finish the lid separated from the the wall of the box at one corner. The gap is only about the thickness of printer paper and extends about an inch in both directions from the corner.

My first idea for fixing this was to fill the crack with a sawdust/glue or epoxy mixture but I wasn't sure how well this would ahear with the danish oil applied. My second idea was to cut the corner like a spline miter joint and add a spline to eliminate the gap. I am not sure how deep danish oil penetrates into wood so again I'm not sure if the finish would prevent the spline from forming a strong glue joint.

Any ideas?
I think we might be able to help you more if you would post a picture. There may be an issue that caused the crack. As far as filling the crack after Danish oil has been applied that would be alright if you would wait a week. I wouldn't try using homemade putty. That is too thick. I would buy a can of a wood filler such as Famowood walnut putty and fill it with that. If you would put masking tape on each side of the crack it would minimize the sanding. The Danish oil will only soak into the wood about a 32nd of an inch. If you would cut your spline the glue would hold. Again though, I suspect it is an issue with wood movement and you may need to replace something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason the top separated was that I slightly sanded the walls out of "flat" before attaching the top. I had seen the gap before clamping the top but thought that I could clamp it out. I should have insured the walls of the box were all in the same plane before trying to attach the top. rookie mistake but a learning expereince. I dont expect there to be any more movement as i think the separation was due to the lid moving back to its original shape. I will post pictures this evening.

·
where's my table saw?
27,749 Posts
turn the gap into a reveal

Make a shallow saw kerf all around the box at the intersection/gap. This will conceal the gap and provide a feature line.

OR make the kerf a bit deeper and add/glue in a filler strip of a different color wood or plastic like guitar binding, and there are epoxy fillers you can add ground ceramic material like turquoise, or metal if that would work with the design.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts