Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to match my new cabinets to the trim and cabinets used in these rooms. It has a pink cast to the oak. I seen some unmarked can in the shed that he left behind and it is a creamy pink which looks like what he may of used but i do not know what it is. Can anyone tell me the method that is used to finish these cabinets/ trim so i can duplicate it on these new cabinets. The last 2 images show my cabinet that i plan on finishing. Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a scrap piece of wood try some Minwax provincial stain. If it is too dark try thinning it with mineral spirits.
I tried some minwax golden oak stain and the grain looked correct but the wood looked amber instead of creamy pink. is the Provincial stain different?

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
The provincial stain looks more like the cabinet left of the doorway. The cabinet to the right that is more pink looks like raw red oak to me. If that is the color you are wanting I doubt if you could ever strip the other cabinet to get it that color. Even if you used bleach to get the old stain out it would be more gray than pink. The best way to keep the raw oak look is to use a water based finish only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts