Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am building an 'antique factory cart' table (similar to Restoration Hardware) using reclaimed white oak.

First question, what is the best way to clean and prepare the wood? Murphy's & Tung Oil?

Second, how can I blend my new cut ends with the distressed looking oak?

and finally, what non-glossy protector/stain should I use to give it that natural antique look?

·
The Young Blood
550 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!
Before you even think about running any kind of equipment on it, sanders, hand planes, anything, Check for nails, screws, and old staples, maybe hardware left on it. A nail will destroy a planer blade. Also, a piece of carbide flying through the air isn't gonna tickle.. After the boards are clean, maybe pass them through a thickness planer and the jointer. Sand them down and complete the project to your specs. A finish on this? Well, it sounds like you want protection and to keep the natural beauty within. (Sounds like after the high school dance to me..) You can go with any topcoat to give it a natural look, and also keep the protection in there. Polyurethanes work wonders for me on any kind of projects that I need protection on, like desks, table tops, Things like that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts