Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built a outfeed table for my TS.... I uses MDF for the top.... What would be the best thing to finish this with?.... I want it pretty slick so there is least friction as possible....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used spray on polyurethane .... 3 coats.... And it just soaked it up and made it rough....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Never tried applying a finish to MDF, but I do have a recommendation for next time: track down the MDF that is laminated with the white melamine. Plenty durable. Resists glue and is easy to clean. Added bonus is that it's slick as snot especially with a little wood dust on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The last post recommending melamine was the right answer. Since it's too late for that, I'd just wax it up with some paste wax like your saw table top. Material will run plenty smoothly on that. Don't forget to re-apply as it wears off.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Ttharp said:
I have laminate on both my outfeed tables. one is Formica brand and the other is wilsonart. Pretty inexpensive and glue comes right off.
Me too...works great.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
You can buy a HPL laminate that's thinner and less expensive than the vertical grade of a Formica type laminate. Most of the manufacturers carry it. It could be called 'cabinet liner', or a 'backing sheet'.

It's more durable than a Melamine coating, which is just a chemical application to a substrate. Melamine is a low pressure laminate. It's not a sheet goods application. IOW, you can't remove it, like an HPL laminate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts