Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the threads on finishing a cutting board, all of which point to using mineral oil. My question is whether or not mineral oil will be a good finish for a cutting board that has legs on either side, with a sliding knife drawer between the legs. The legs and drawer front are African paduak. If it wasn't for the cutting board, I'd use BLO; will mineral oil, applied as needed, provide more or less the same look?

Sorry, don't have a pic at the moment, it's clamped up in the shop. It's from a woodsmith mag project of about a year ago, modified for my requirements.

·
7,222 Posts
Mineral oil will work for the cutting surface and the rest of the board.

When you re-apply oil for the cutting surface, you will likely need to apply oil to the rest.

You could use BLO or another hard film finish for the drawer/legs, all the parts except the cutting surface and mineral oil for the cutting surface.

When I want a hard film finish I like to use General Finish's Salad Bowl Finish.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000752/9151/General-Finishes-Salad-Bowl-Finish-Quart.aspx

FYI, take plenty of pictures when this is completed. The bright red colour of the padauck will darken with UV. How fast depends on the amount of UV. Could be days, could be weeks. It is a normal process.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I guess I'll try the mineral oil on some scraps and see if it looks good enough. If not, I'll mask off the bottom of the cutting board (top) and use BLO on the other parts, then hit the top with mineral oil. It's going to live on the top of the stove on my sailboat, so only the top will be visible most of the time. Top is just mahogany and maple, stuff I had lying around the shop.

Here's a pic of it before finishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finished up

Finished product. Used mineral oil on the whole thing, worked out great. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the padauk won't darken too quickly, it's mostly out of the sun. I trimmed out the folding table I made with padauk and it's still nice and red after 2 seasons aboard.

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Nice looking board, thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

I can see the value of the drawer and legs with this being used on your boat. You designed this well to fit the counter or the stove top. In a boat space is always constrained.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Now that is one good looking cutting board, great minds think alike I guess. :laughing: I'm glad you got to post some pics that is a really neat idea with the pull outs. I can see where it would make sense with limited storage.

Wood Bench Table Wood stain Tree

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another nice looking board..!

Wish I could take credit for the idea, but it was a plan in Woodsmith Magazine. I just modified it for my purposes, so it would fit the stove and clear the burners. The knife drawer solved a problem I've had for some time, trying to figure out a safe place to keep sharp knifes on a heeling sailboat; a standard knife block wouldn't have done the trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.