Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is deciding between cherry or maple countertops, and asked my opinion on finish for each.
Maple cutting boards are obviously just oiled but what do folks use for the countertops? They won't be cutting directly on the countertop. And I'm sure they don't want to constantly reapply oil.

I'm guessing the same is true for cherry?
Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
Dave

·
Registered
27,758 Posts
Personally I think maple would be a better choice for a countertop. I think you would have more trouble with cherry cracking for a panel that wide. I suppose you could get by with just oiling the counter top but it would take frequent maintenance to keep it looking nice. I think you would be happier with an epoxy coating on the top. It would be a lot easier to clean and maintain.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
My friend is deciding between cherry or maple countertops, and asked my opinion on finish for each.
Maple cutting boards are obviously just oiled but what do folks use for the countertops? They won't be cutting directly on the countertop. And I'm sure they don't want to constantly reapply oil.

I'm guessing the same is true for cherry?
Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
Dave
I'm assuming this is for kitchen countertops. Real wood isn't at the top of the choice list. It is for cutting boards, and tops that will be used for cutting, and food preparation. And, for those, a mineral oil treatment is used.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all.
I am certainly not a cabinet man. But having made a lot of maple, cherry, and oak pieces I tend to understand their strengths and weaknesses.
I suggested maple or cherry vs oak. I also suggested leaving cherry some "movement" room. And finally I suggested a good quality finish like:
Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish, Quart

... Avoiding any standard poly's.

Thanks to your suggestion he's looking into epoxy. I know little about that other than bar tops, I've seen a couple if those :)

Hope my suggestions were close to right. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
27,758 Posts
Thanks all.
I am certainly not a cabinet man. But having made a lot of maple, cherry, and oak pieces I tend to understand their strengths and weaknesses.
I suggested maple or cherry vs oak. I also suggested leaving cherry some "movement" room. And finally I suggested a good quality finish like:
Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish, Quart

... Avoiding any standard poly's.

Thanks to your suggestion he's looking into epoxy. I know little about that other than bar tops, I've seen a couple if those :)

Hope my suggestions were close to right. Thanks again for the help.
Red oak would have been really bad for a counter top. It tends to turn black when exposed to water. White oak on the other hand would work. It's used a lot for exterior projects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts