Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a butcher block top for a bathroom vanity I made. The top is hard maple. I want to put a finish on it but not sure what to use. Here's my requirements: a) must be able to get wet occasionally without damage to the wood, the glue up, or the finish, b) I want to stain it dark, at least as dark as natural walnut, c) I do not care whether the finish is food grade or not. Any recommendations.

Oh, one other thing. It's Sunday. I'd like to be working on this Friday, so I need a solution that I can get from a local store. I have a HD and a Sherwin Williams store nearby.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

·
Registered
91 Posts
Staining maple to look like walnut would be a challenge. Staining maple at all is a challenge, but to get it as dark as walnut...
I would use tinted shellac. Without that, you might try polyshades.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mdntrdr, toller,

Thanks for the advice. You mentioned tinted shellac. I thought shellac did particularly poorly when it gets wet, no. Is there an oil based polyshades?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
>>>> Is there an oil based polyshades?

Why do you want to use Polyshades? It is a finish that is almost impossible to apply evenly. Because it is tinted, any variation in the film thickness will further exacerbate maples tendency to color unevenly. Brush marks will be very noticeable unless the finish is applied very evenly. Overall, Polyshades, or any tinted finish, will is not a good choice for light colored splotch prone woods like maple. In general, maple is not a good choice for staining. The darker the stain used the more uneven coloring will result.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are better off applying an epoxy resin on top like a bar top since it will get wet in the bathroom. As far as staining Maple, good luck with that. It can be done but very difficult.

I would love to see picture once you are done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts