Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently started doing some inlay for fun. One of my first inlay projects was a belt buckle made out of walnut that also contains a little bit of marble wood as well. I like the deep toned natural look, so I just finished it with some mineral oil. This is fine for me because I can easily apply more after sanding down a nick or a rough edge from getting wet. However, someone has commissioned me to make one for them, and I need to come up with a more durable and waterproof option for a finish. I don't mind a little bit of gloss, but I'd like to keep somewhat of a natural look if possible. What are my best options? Is it something I would have to special order or could I pick it up at a local big box hardware store?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same question. I have 6 buckles; 3 from some nice dark walnut with nice grain, and 3 with the same walnut inlaid with different designs of oak. I've finished them all with 2 coats of boiled linseed oil and they are currently drying. I do like the look, but I think I want a bit more shine. I'm going to experiment with 2 of my less attractive ones and use a satin and a gloss poly. I'll let you know how they come out.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Also, how long should I wait for the linseed to dry before applying a poly?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts