Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of cloth is best suited for applying finishing oils, and does anyone know where Q-tip type applicators with foam ends rather than cotton can be obtained.:glare:

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you don't have a bunch of old tee-shirts laying around, Lowe's has boxes of rags made of the same material--pure cotton. They ARE the best--try not to use the blends.

Nancy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sometimes I have problems with fraying on the ends of the rag (especially if I've cut it with scissors instead of ripping it). I've found they work better if you bundle all the edges together into a purse like thing and put a rubber band around the edges nice and tight. Then edges don't touch the workpiece and you have a sort of handle to help you work. Old cotton T-shirts definitely are the A treatment the older the better cause really you just want there not to be any lint.

Oh remember to cut off the rubber band and flatten the rag out to dry before you throw it away. Spontaneous combustion is cool and all but to be avoided.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh remember to cut off the rubber band and flatten the rag out to dry before you throw it away. Spontaneous combustion is cool and all but to be avoided.
AMEN to that!!!! The house behind us burned when the guy DIDN'T do just that. Destroyed his garage, his car, his laundry room, part of his kitchen, and all the stuff he had stored in the attic!! It's been a number of years ago, but I can still remember being awakened at 2:00 a.m. by fire-truck sirens and flashing red lights. You don't want to do that!!

Nancy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts