Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned a bowl from a oak burl blank I had sitting for a year. I sanded it through the grits up to 800.

Rock Ceramic Pottery earthenware Artifact

Rock Artifact

Wood Carving

I would like to know what finish would be best. I use Danish oil on just about everything, but I have Wipe on poly, Waterlox, and formbys tung oil finish. I don't want it to get real dark or shiny. Any advice?

·
Registered
27,644 Posts
The wood is light enough you might want to consider the finish yellowing. The wipe on poly and the tung oil finish will yellow as it ages. The waterlox finish would remain clear. You could also use a water based polyurethane or a cab acrylic lacquer or a pre-catalyzed lacquer. The water based poly as well as the lacquers would be better sprayed.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you don't want it to darken or have a shine then all you need is a little surface protection. Maybe just a quick buff with some some wax would suffice. Otherwise you could use any of those options with a very light application. Just lightly damped a rag and give it a quick once over and call it good. IMHO that's all you need for a purely decorative piece. Nice bowl!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I like all of the feedback. I think I'll start with a little of my favorite finish then use some matte lacquer as a top coat. That will give it a little more durability without darkening too much. I still want some contrast that oil will bring out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts