Woodworking Talk banner

Finding Shellac bond mica sheets

10K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  dekinai-yo 
#1 ·
Am hoping someone out there knows of a supplier of shellac bond mica sheets. It's genrally used for lamp shades, amber in color. I'm having a heck of time finding a supplier other than small sheets at high cost! I'm planning this into some casework. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Tommy

#4 ·
Only saw this message today. The material you are looking for is available in England although the basic raw material originates in India. It is usually supplied in thicknesses of around 0.8 to 1mm with a sheet size of 40" x 20". It is generally described as Heat Resistant Rigid Micanite. Its normal application is as an insulator in the electrical industry but certain people use it to produce hand made lampshades. It is usual if the exact colour cannot be described, to supply a small sample. You have to bear in mind for this application that this micanite material's thickness controls the amount of light passing through.
For more information look up the material at www.attwater.co.uk

#5 ·
I had no idea this stuff was worth anything. My mom's uncle who passed in 1975 at nearly 90, left my dad all his electronic stuff like old, big, vaccum tubes and also his woodworking tools. He was a tinkerer and built furniture, radios and TVs from scratch. I remember seeing a whole ammo box full of those mysterious things. i bet we still have it somewhere. i will look but it will be a while before I can get to that stuff. My dad is going to clean out the big barn Uncle Aussie's stuff is all stashed in and when he does I'll go snooping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.