Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to watching some videos from John Lucas I have been using my bowl gouge. I sharpened it then changed the grind to something I liked and gave it another try. Still faster at some things using my carbides but at least it isn't going to waste just sitting in the rack.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Thanks to watching some videos from John Lucas I have been using my bowl gouge. I sharpened it then changed the grind to something I liked and gave it another try. Still faster at some things using my carbides but at least it isn't going to waste just sitting in the rack.
Dang, I was hoping to see a cheap bowl gouge in the classifieds one of these days :laughing:

Uh, sorry, I meant to type good for you :thumbsup:

I was taught to use a bowl gouge before I got any carbide tools, I find each has its time and place.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Have one carbide tool (a rusdemka...whatever happened to him btw?) that I still haven't made a handle for. Learned on traditional tools and haven't wanted to cross over to the dark side ;-)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I love carbide tools for some things, like roughing a shape or hollowing; but you cannot beat the finish or control you get from a nice sharp bowl gouge, shear scraper, bedan, or skew chisel.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Have one carbide tool (a rusdemka...whatever happened to him btw?) that I still haven't made a handle for. Learned on traditional tools and haven't wanted to cross over to the dark side ;-)
Dema hasn't had as much time to go online lately, been busy on some home projects that became more urgent. I'm sure that he'll be back!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I bought some carbide before I learned to sharpened properly. I very seldom use the carbide any more.
Tom

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I haven't actually done a real bowl gouge video yet. I do show it in some of the others. I plan on doing one possibly in July after I get back from the AAW symposium. Also planning one on Keith Thompkins V skew. I'm behind on doing both of those but home repairs, car repairs, and family things got in the way.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
sawdustfactory said:
Lol, have had alot of stuff going on lately, home projects pop up, water leaks, kitchen remodeling. Found out im going to be a father a couple weeks back. Its a busy summer for sure as Robert said.. I did pick up a 3/8 sorby bowl gouge that i want to learn how to use, i tried and failed, so that's on told for now..
I still read through wwt everyday :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Photos please , we likes pics :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts