Woodworking Talk banner

Finally trying out a lathe

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  BigBadBuford 
#1 ·
I've been wanting to try out a little wood turning for a while now so I broke down and decided to go cheap to start out with. I've never done it before. Nothing special, just a $120 Harbor Freight special. So far I have only used it to sand some cylinders smooth. I added a 6" 60 grit sanding disk to the face plate to grip the cylinders.

It's a 8" x 12". Do they make chucks for lathes this size? It would make things easier, especially if it was self centering.

I plan to try out a few small practice sticks to get the idea. If I'm any good at it maybe I'll use it for part of my mallet swap build...maybe. If I find I really enjoy turning, I'll invest in something with some more HP and size.
Tool Machine Miter saw Radial arm saw Tool accessory

See less See more
#3 ·
The two things you need to know to get accessories is thread count over 1 inch i.e. 1x8 or 16x 8. And if its a no. 1 or no. 2 morise taper, go to the woodturners thread for more help but you do need either a spur chuck or jaw chuck. You should not use just a sanding disc to hold work it will wobble and go projectileon you

#5 ·
That lathe has a #1 morse taper and a 3/4" spindle. I cant seam to find a thread count anywhere. Accessories are available though.

Is it too late to take it back? If not, Id highly recccomend taking it back and exchanging it for this one...http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-top-wood-lathe-65345.html This is the best lathe that HF sells. It has a #2 MT and a 1"-8 TPI spindle so its very easy to find accessories for it. Its a very good stater lathe and will allow you to turn many items. Take a 25% off coupon with you and it will only be 30 bucks more than the one you need to return. The one you got, you will pretty much be limeted to pens and stoppers.

#6 ·
I too have the HF 10x18 lathe that bassblaster is reffering to. It really is a pretty good lathe for the new turner like we are. It is very affordable and has a head stock that fits most chucks and mt#2 head/ tail stock. I got a chuck from psi that came with three sets of jaws and is self centering for $89.99.

#8 ·
pen state has a good selection of chucks and other stuff that will fit that lathe, but like you already heard thread and MT size are important to know before buying anything.

My Shop Fox looks very much like your HF lathe and I have a self centering three jawed chuck, a bowl chuck, and a couple of pen mandrels for it from pen state. All of them work well.

Be careful. I've only had mine for less than 5 months and its not the lathe that costs. Its all the other stuff to goes with it. :laughing:

#9 ·
I actually did consider the $199 next step up but to be honest, I wasn't even sure if I will enjoy turning. There are free seminars at the local Rockler store from time to time I should check out. I figured on starting out with small trinkets. If I find it enjoyable I will invest in a much nicer model, if not...I'll keep it for sanding the mugs I make. It's a real time saver for me there! I'll be sure to check out pen state:thumbsup: It's already in my mind about making my own chuck of some kind too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.