Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally had the oak crotch piece cut into planks. I sealed the ends with 2 coats of latex paint and put 1 inch sticks between them. As you'll see in the pictures they are a bit rough but if the drying goes well I could end up with some nice stuff. I ended up with 3 pieces that are somewhat flat on both sides and 1 large end piece, each plank is about 2.5 inches thick. I paid the guy $40 bucks to cut them, don't feel like it was too much as the wood was free!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice looking planks. Will make some nice tables. I have some when I can find someone close that can saw them, should make some interesting lumber.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
I see POTENTIAL!!!! sticker and seal the ends good. They'll be pretty!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm pretty excited. I guess I've got 2.5 or 3 years to plan a few projects. To Submarine, the guy who cut these pieces was really concerned with getting his cuts as clean as possible. He did it all free hand!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Were the cuts made freehand or with a jig? I'm looking into getting something to mill wood with like an Alaskan mill, but I have no experience with one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Treeguysrule the cuts were made freehand but not by me. The guy actually a tree trimmer! I've seen a lot of the Alaskan mills on ebay and in all the videos I've watched they seem pretty straight forward but I have not used one either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts