Woodworking Talk banner

Finally, my first bowl!

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Dave Paine 
#1 ·
So I finally finished my first bowl. I chose a segmented (bowl from board) piece since all my blanks are green at the moment

Nothing special, but it is my first so I am extremely happy. Many more to come in the future

Wood Hardwood Table Bowl Tree

Bowl Flowerpot Wood Tableware earthenware

Wood Hardwood Table Tree woodworking

Bowl Wood Sink Tableware woodworking

Thanks for looking. Cc welcome

See less See more
#9 ·
Nice one!
Haven't done a ring bowl in a while but do have some boards I've been saving for that- cypress, walnut.
Dave H

#15 ·
john lucas said:
YOu did good. I don't see any tearout, sanding marks or bad finish. That's a good sign. It's fun doing the BFB. I sat through Micheal Mode's demo on advanced techniques for BFB at the AAW Symposium a few weeks ago. Can't wait to work on another one.
That's 4-5 hours of sanding at work. It took forever.

So I'm guessing advanced BFB is making different profiles rather than the straight line? I want to do a design like the one below but don't know how to do it. I'm guessing you need 4 boards instead of two, and you need to calculate the angles out?

Pottery Vase Urn earthenware Artifact

#20 ·
I'm guessing the top half is the first set and bottom half is the second set which comes to 4 boards instead of two
No need to guess, several software programs to do the details for you. I have this one.

http://www.segmentedturning.com/

Reply with your bowl dimensions - height, wall thickness, diameter at top and bottom and diameter/height of widest part, thickness of rings (likely board thickness). I will then put into my copy of the program.

This software generates the cut list. I also need to know available board widths and lengths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.