Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picture to follow once I figure out how. The following is my first ever attempt at building anything. My tool resources are currently almost nothing so I have to be creative with how I get things done. Seriously I dont even own a table saw!

So it is a pool cue rack made for a friend who gave me a miter saw. Ends up that miter saw is pretty crappy and wont lock into any straight cuts and I had to replace the protective guard on it but heck $25 well spent cause I like my eyes and fingers.

I apologize that there is only one pic but I will do my best to describe what I did in words. My new cellphone comes in the mail today :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so it is made from what we estimate to be 100 year old American Chestnut. My friend had a whole trailer load in his barn and wanted it out of there. I was happy as a clam to take it off of his hands thinking I could just sell it. After 3 weeks no offers from 5 companies I called and nothing from craigslist I decided to start making things out of it. I had no idea how in over my head I was.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess from the begining:

1) I had to cut some straight board to support the trim. This requires at least a circular saw. I had a 9v rechargeable saw that was missing the bolt to lock it into place at 90 degrees. I brought it over to my neighbor who works with metal and we mounted a bracket on it and now it is forever locked at 90 degrees. I had no idea about using wood stripper so I just sanded the whole thing by hand. Seriously my friends where making fun of me cause even while we had poker night outside I was there sanding my wood.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next was the fancy stuff. All the trim and fancy boards. I like to help my neighbors as much as possible. They all know they can ask me for any help at any time. I noticed my one nieghbors lawn had not been mowed and his wife is the type that is to pretty to get her hands dirty and he was away for Military training. Got to help a brother out right? So I went over and mowed his lawn. Its a small one so it prob took me 45 mins. He got home a couple days later and I guess his wife had spotted me mowing it. So he came over to my house with the Harbor Freight Router and a set of their rollover bits as a thank you. Yeah its Harbor Frieght but its free and I love free. So I got to work. I routed all the edges off the wood, used one of those circular bits on a drill (sorry dont know the name) and cut 1 inch holes, then routed the holes (yeah I like playing with that router), then I sawed straight down the center for the bottom piece. For the top I used a 1/2 circular bit thingy and used my neighbors jig saw to open it up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The center I took more trim which can not hold in the balls in itself so I used wire in the back to pull everything taught and keep the balls in place. The balls are the reason why this guy wanted this made in the first place. I guess they are really old and he is a bit of an antiquer.

The client asked for chestnut finish. I bought the basic Home Depot stuff painted it on, sanded then painted again. Then I put leather strips in the tops and the bottoms of the rack. I also made a little box to hold chalks. He was happy with it but I by no mean am happy with it. After seeing pics on here I know I have a long way to go learning to finish properly.

So all in all I spent around $65 plus tons of time (who cares its my free time) and sold it for $225. I asked for $100 but the guy said he would pay me what he thinks its worth (good guy to know). He said he was happy to pay for my education and he cant wait to see me grow in knowledge for future projects.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took 3 pieces of the smallest trim from the pile, jammed them together at angle to hold a circular object and nailed them in place. You cant see the nails cause the chalk box covers them up. Then I used picture frame wire to pull in the tension at the weakest spots which oddly enough was every 5th ball. There is probably some science to explain that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
to bad you weren't closer, I'm selling my old sears 7" table saw model 103.23420 at a yard sale for tomorrow $25. it needs a motor, i think its from 1945. fence,and miter guage is there. nice shape, not rusted. heck I even have a set of pool table balls from a table that we got rid of 10 years ago you can have..lol...why are they still in my garage????? any way nice work. something to be proud of. there should be a handle on the front of your miter saw to lock it into place, if not a bolt will do the trick. dt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.