Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just uploaded a few pics to my gallery. I haven't posted in awhile. I hope to have many more pics added soon. I would really like some feed-back on my lamps: good, bad or otherwise..lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Larry

The lamps are very nicely worked and finished. It comes down to personal preference of course.

I think those lamps would look VERY nice in your american style log cabin or the clasic midwest type of home (as portrayed in the movies of course) but would they fit in a modern loft in New york for instance.

Only you know your target market.

But very nicely executed...

I am starting to sound like an art critic here LOL..

Please feel free to visit my own website and cast a critical eye over my pieces..
http://www.hughwoodturning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2.html

We can only improve if we consider the views of others..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the good review. I visited your website and you do beautiful work.
What is "Friction polish finish" ? The lamps in my gallery are with a poly-urathane, but I've been told spar-urathane is better. I'm sure I will try many things before I get it right..lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Larry

The friction polish finish is a shellac based product. you wipe it on with a cloth and then buff it off at high speed on the lathe. The heat build up removes everything but the shellac.

you can keep building the coats till you get the finish that you want.

They say that you should only use it for small pieces as it is difficult to get an even finish

I use it all the time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts