Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a little wood hunting yesterday and found a stand of dead and dying box elders. I cut one down...hollow! Cut another down and it was perfect. Got some work to do now. I'm pretty excited.
Here's the first bowl, turned green so I expect it to move some. 16" x 2.5"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Ooooh, now that's pretty exciting stuff you harvested. Hope there's enough meat on the bowl to allow you to at least level the bottom after it warps.

If you happen across any totally boring chunks (no flame, no spalting, no curl -- I mean, really boring) and would be willing to part with them, I've been on the lookout for a couple of pieces for airbrush decoration.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
duncsuss said:
Ooooh, now that's pretty exciting stuff you harvested. Hope there's enough meat on the bowl to allow you to at least level the bottom after it warps. If you happen across any totally boring chunks (no flame, no spalting, no curl -- I mean, really boring) and would be willing to part with them, I've been on the lookout for a couple of pieces for airbrush decoration.
I'll look through it. How big a piece do you need?

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Nice looking wood, now all that you have to do is get the anchor seal on it. if you don' t it will split in no time at all. If you don't have that cheap paint applied lightly to the ends works. Also keep it as long logs next time less likely to split

Jerry

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wood shavings said:
Nice looking wood, now all that you have to do is get the anchor seal on it. if you don' t it will split in no time at all. If you don't have that cheap paint applied lightly to the ends works. Also keep it as long logs next time less likely to split Jerry
I'll be perfectly honest. My plan was to achorseal it this morning but the wind was blowing 30 from the north and my shop was warm and cozy so you know the rest of the story. The short crosscut pieces are destined for HF blanks so they have a little room for checking. I'll get em sealed tomorrow:).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Finally Got some FBE

Congrats on your haul. Those are nice projects. FBE makes nice Game Calls also.

I lived in McKinney for a while back in the late 60's, and worked some in Anna. That was when Plano only had a Grain Mill, Gas Station, Grocery Store and farms. Then along came Hagar Slacks and Plano place that made plastic boxes. Got carried away.

I am sorry for taking your post to re-live all that.:icon_redface::oops::eek:fftopic:

Ray

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ironman123 said:
Congrats on your haul. Those are nice projects. FBE makes nice Game Calls also. I lived in McKinney for a while back in the late 60's, and worked some in Anna. That was when Plano only had a Grain Mill, Gas Station, Grocery Store and farms. Then along came Hagar Slacks and Plano place that made plastic boxes. Got carried away. I am sorry for taking your post to re-live all that.:icon_redface::oops::eek:fftopic: Ray
Yes it's changed a tad since then. Truthfully it's hard to recognize some areas from 10 years ago. Game calls are a good idea. I'll definitely put back some pot call blanks and maybe a duck call blank or two in case I ever decide to tackle that project. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is beautiful. Do you still have any pieces left to make a small bowl? I dont live to far and would love to try something other than pens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts