Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally found a band saw on CL. **Pic's Added**

I am pretty pumped. Been checking craigslist for about 2 years on/off looking for a decent 14" band saw that would be a keeper but not cost me an arm and leg. Have had good luck with other tools on CL but couldn't seem to find anything that smelled like a good deal for my $500 budget. Amazed how much money people wanted for pretty old or beat up looking machines. And I would have happily driven 50-100 mi for a good deal. I even got close to buying a RIKON 10-325 which was on sale at sears for $799 with no shipping. But I hated to spend that much and don't like buying new shop sized tools if I can avoid it.

Snow day here in north east so was late getting into work. Decided to glance at CL. Found a Powermatic 14 Deluxe. And the best part is it was located about 5 min from my house. Texted the fellow and he said how soon can you get hear. Well I headed out in the snow. Saw was in great shape, bought new in 2007 and used sparingly. Some spot surface rust here and there but mostly dust and birdseed (go figure). Should clean up nice. He was asking $650 and he took $500, which seems pretty good for a $1200 saw new. No riser block but did have a nice shop made roller stand and two extra blades.

I will post some pics when I have them. Had to head to work so the thing is lying flat in the back of my SUV. Just couldn't wait to share my news. I would welcome any advice on set-up, etc. Never had one before but have been watching a lot of youtube trying to get up to speed.

**Edit: Added a couple of pictures. Cleaning up nicely. Thanks for the posted videos. That and some other stuff has given me a great head start on what I need to do to get it tuned up/adjusted.

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Great find! Make sure you watch Alex Snodgrass, a wealth of information. I have seen his demos four times at the Woodworking Shows.

·
Registered
212 Posts
followed and lost

I followed how he did the boxes and drawers, but he lost me on the snake cuts. Though both items could be nice gifts. I assume there would be more videos of cutting the wood into snakes.

Jon
Northern Michigan

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I followed how he did the boxes and drawers, but he lost me on the snake cuts. Though both items could be nice gifts. I assume there would be more videos of cutting the wood into snakes.

Jon
Northern Michigan
Snakes? SNAKES? OMG - we're all gonna die!:eek:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great deal! That's a heck of a 14" saw, and if you need more, those riser kits can be had fairly inexpensively on the 'bay. Enjoy!

WCT

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice find! I too am in the market and I've been checking CL like crazy but so far nothing has jumped out at me. I guess the trick to CL is to keep looking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts