Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm prepping the doors of a bathroom vanity for painting. The oak veneer has taken a lot of abuse, is chipped and split. However the inside door surfaces are pristine condition so I had the bright idea of turning them inside out. However, to achieve the paint finish I want, I have to fill the holes where the hinges were. I purchased some wood hole filler that from the outside of the container appeared to be color of some sort of wood. Silly me. All it is is good old joint compound. When I filled the holes, I noticed that the screws have left the wood uneven, with raised edges around the circumference of each hole. When I sanded the patched spots, the raised edges are very visible. What can I do to create a smoother surface to paint? If push came to shove, I could apply some trim around the perimeter of the doors before painting them and give them a new look.:wallbash:

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are using oak, then the grain is likley going to show when you paint. If holes are filled and sanded flat then that is going to give you another dissimilar surface. I would degrease, take a lite spackling compound and do the entire door with a 4" putty knife. Then take some 120 grit and finish with 220 both on a block. Have a trouble light handy to inspect the surface. Then prime a couple of times sand again with 220 and paint with finish coat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with yongman. Oak has a deep grain. It all has to be filled and sanded smooth like you would drywall. You hand is a good tool. If you can feel lumps then you will see them when painted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts