Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Good job. I like that you made them look different even though they are the same basic design. It's definitely easier to produce multiple items in assembly line fashion. Mainly because it eliminates a huge percentage of overall setup and measurement time. But using different woods like you did gives each a unique look and alleviates the assembly line feel. Each one then feels a little more special.

I believe you'll have five very happy recipients come Christmas day. :thumbup: So, is your list completed or do you have more gifts to make?

I keep telling myself I too will be done with Christmas gifts before the last minute. I have a long Christmas list and a long way to go. Ughh.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
I really like those boxes! :thumbsup: Your corner splines look awesome, nice job. What kind of hinge are you using? I'd like to see a close up of how you mortised in the hinge if you could. Pretty please :yes:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks really nice especially the corners. Did they get put on the TS standing on edge before assembly so that the corners matched when put together. If not how did you do it.

Jerry
Make a regular sized, mitered box.
Put in splines now, if desired.
Rout the hinge(s) mortise now
Tilt the TS blade to 11 deg.
Place the box upside down against the fence.
Line up the cut for the profile you want.
Line up the other 2 sides. Hint: Line up to just take out the now exposed end grain.
Use a 1/4" roundover bit to give the bottom edge a good look.

This box came from a fairly recent Woodsmith.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really like those boxes! :thumbsup: Your corner splines look awesome, nice job. What kind of hinge are you using? I'd like to see a close up of how you mortised in the hinge if you could. Pretty please :yes:
The hinges I used are from Lee Valley

00D8066 102mm x 17mm RE Brass Piano Hinge
91Z0103 100-#1 1/2" Flat Brass Screw

My advice as always is "Build A Jig". This jig is just 2 pieces of scrap. One piece of ply for the router to ride on, and another to act as a stop inside the box. Clamp it to the box and rout away. I used a 1/2" bearing mounted hinge mortising bit, because the hinge end has a 1/2" radius. The router bit depth is the thickness of the hinge at the pivot, since the lid is flush mounted.
This pic shows the jig sitting on a box. The cutout matches the length of the hinge and is centered on the jig.

This pic shows the hinge ready to accept the lid.
Spacer taped between the leaves (piece of walnut spline) and dbl-sided tape to catch the lid. Place box front edge on bench and sneak the lid onto the tape. Press hard; wait 2-3 minutes for the tape to set; open and drill holes.

Finished job. 2 of these hinges were shorter than the rest,,,,and this is one of those! :furious:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.