Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several pieces of 2x6 lumber that were used as cross-members in a big hobby table. They spanned the inside of the table frame, nailed from the outside. The table has long since been dismantled leaving 2 inch nail holes in the ends of the wood. Now I would like to build a new table using much of the old wood. This time I'll be using wood screws.

My thinking is that if I run a screw in from the outside of the frame I might hit or come close to the old hole which doesn't seem like a good thing because the screw wouldn't have as much to bite into.

I was originally thinking that a wood filler like Plastic Wood might be good to use. But that was before I found how virtually impossible it is to get the stuff into those small holes. Couple that with the fact that they suggest filling deep holes in layers, it seems like maybe I'm trying to do something that can't or shouldn't be done.

Am I over thinking this? Does anyone have a different approach?

·
Super Moderator
3,251 Posts
go to wal-mart and buy a box of finger food skewers.
they are bigger than a toothpick and smaller than a chopstick.
dip in glue, drive them into the holes, break them off flush.
some holes may take two or more sticks.

and welcome to the forum !!

·
Super Moderator
3,251 Posts
of course - practice with any wood sticks you have on hand.
or sit down and whittle a bucket full of your own.
dip in glue, pound in with a hammer. break them off flush.
build your table.

·
Ancient Termite
886 Posts
I prefer to use chop sticks from the Asian restaurant. The Asian one are usually bamboo and the American ones are white wood from the Wisconsin area. The bamboo ones seem to be better for holes that need tightening for a screw.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I think if the holes are small enough to be filled by a toothpick, the hole is small enough for a screw to get a good bite.

By the way, I just tried SPAX screws for the first time, they seem to grab REALLY well.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
I cannot imagine using screws which are smaller than nail holes, unless the previous used drove in railroad spikes.

Do not worry about the nail holes.

George

1 - 8 of 8 Posts