Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a crack in a cutting board that I'm making and I just wanted to know how to fill it.

Can anyone tell me what I should use to fill it?

Here is a picture:

image-1768435140.jpg

I have been on other forums and they say use epoxy resin, but i'm not sure if it is food safe or not.

Many thanks,

Jackson

·
Registered
33 Posts
You could take some saw dust and mix it with the glue you used n fill it. You'll still see it but it won't wash out if you use titebond 3.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
broken edge =
a bit broke off the edge or near the edge of the strip of wood .
or ,
the strip was not fully machined before assembly

Anyway , how how thick is the cutting board ?

·
7,222 Posts
That is not a crack, just a piece of the natural edge of a board which was not cut off prior to assembly.

I would fill with epoxy. You will see the defect in the board but at least there will not be a space to catch food particles.

Epoxy, CA, yellow glue should all food safe when cured.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It appears to me it's a resinous substance. Whether a resin, a crack or other, rip it out on the TS and glue the joint.
Yep , looks that way .

'Tasmanian Oak' is a name given to a few gumtrees . Some machine well , others do not . Some have voids , resin pockets , areas of flakey grain .

'Victorian Ash' is a name given to a few gumtrees . Some machine well , others do not . Some have voids , resin pockets , areas of flakey grain .

Other names are also used

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
looks like a pitch pocket. anyway, we never fill the faces of cutting boards. the knife is certain to hit it and chip it sometime. cut it out and reglue is my recommendation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts