Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've looked at about a dozen sites and can't find Barrel Bolts.Are they called something else or what?

·
Senior Member from MN
219 Posts
I find this subject fascinating. I need to remember this. I made a small end table/CD holder a few years ago on the fly, with no real design insight other than eyeballing it. The only critical dimension I used was the height, and I have never been satisfied with the resulting relative dimensions of the various features. For example, I do not like the top overhang or the size of the open shelf to the block of CD holders. It would have been different had used this set of ratios. I'll have to compare the dimensions to see where I went wrong. When I get time, I'll post a photo if anyone is interested.

This is a neat tool!
Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Golden ratio = Φ = 1 : 1.618
In a pinch if you don't have a gauge, multiply your short dimension by 1.618. Think you can divide your long dimension by 1.618, but double check that as I'm posting this a 4am and my brain is a little out of dimension right now.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I know this is an old thread but it's still fascinating to understand the golden rule of proportions...

I couldn't find a Fibonacci gauge to buy so I made one.........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts