Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are festool really worth the money they are asking? Are they made that much better than everyone else. That is a lot of money to spend but I guess if it is worth it I can spend it. Can you all give me some feed back

·
Registered
108 Posts
Once you have used festool and seen how incredible the dust collection is (so good that my WIFE will sand things inside with mine) you will be converted.

Festool stuff is a bit expensive but when you pick it up and feel the quality and as you use all of the parts together you begin to see how well thought out the whole system is you get converted.

Note that you don't have to have all of the system to get good use of any of the tools.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I think only you can decide if they are worth the money. No argument about them being a top tool. I'd love to have a couple of their ROS's. I just can't justify them as a hobbyist. The majority of what I do with a router, the setup time is far greater than actually running the router so a little $100 Craftsman works just fine and the difference in $$ got me a pretty decent router table plus some bits. JMHO:smile:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Man, I was playing with the festool miter saw at my local lumber yard the other day. That thing is a work of art. So slick, the way they designed the rails on it you can put it up tight on a wall and not have the rail bumping into it while cutting. They said it was around $1200. Someday, but not today.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My humble opinion is that they are worth the extra money. But, it depends on how much money you have to spend. I am blessed with the means to buy Festool and love it. Even if I don't have the money to buy something, I save until I do and get the better quality product. I have the jigsaw and miter saw and love both. In the end, low end and high end tools can do very similar jobs so buy what you can afford and are comfortable with. I think most people would agree that they are superior tools but whether or not they justify the sticker price is probably a question for a personal level and related to how much money you have or are willing to put into things. If you have a new Kia it will work great and you'll be happy with it...until you drive a Range Rover. In the end they both get you from point A to point B, although the Rover has a bit more style, speed, comfort, and safety. I feel like Festool is similar. We could debate all day about whether the increase in price is worth the increase in quality since just like in my car example, a much cheaper product can produce the same result. I personally feel the answer is related to how much it stresses you financially to buy Festool (or Range Rovers). If you have the money, I can promise you that you will not be disappointed in the quality. But, there are plenty of products that do very close to the same job without the hefty sticker price if you elect to not go with Festool.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Well built? Yes.
Dust collection is about as good as there is.

For the professional working in several million dollar homes they are a necessity.

For the home work shop? If you can spare the extra cash.

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
I went to Rockler to buy a new blade to cut veneer plywood for cabinet doors. Asking what is the best way to get splinter free cuts. I was shown the TS55 saw and vacuum. I gave it a try.
I'm hooked with the rail system. Splinter free cuts top and bottom.
This led to the Domino for joinery-better and stronger than pocket screws or biscuits.
The edge router is set for a 5 degree up angle so edge banding comes out perfect.
Sanding is dustless.
The MFT provides flexibility and quick set up to safely hold work pieces in place.
My Makita's are now collecting dust.

·
Registered
178 Posts
As a professional woodworker making a living I can definitely justify the price. If I were just a hobbyist woodworker..... I would still buy their sanders and vac. The dust collection on their tools are simply amazing and just like many other woodworkers I always dreaded sanding. So, at least now there's not dust everywhere. Not to mention how much quieter and smoother their sanders are than every other brands I've owned. Porter Cable, DeWalt & Makita.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts