Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm a newbie into this woodworking hobby. I plan on retiring in a few months, and plan on getting into woodworking for a hobby. I purchased quite a few pieces of festool equipment, and was wondering if anyone out there has hands on experience with festool products, and could offer me some advice. From what I can tell, it is very accurate, but more importantly, very safe. It seems like it is as accurate as a table saw, but far less dangerous. :smile:

Greenfield Rich

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what item are you talking about?
the circular saw and guide?

Yes, exactly. I feel that the saw with the guide is as accurate as using a table saw, without the kickback danger. Plus, you have the added advantage of the dust extraction that connects to every Festool piece of equipment. I have the saw, table, guide, router, rotex sander, and domino joiner.

Greenfield Rich:icon_smile:

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
The Festool is a great tool, very convient BUT it will NOT replace a tablesaw. You have no ability to cut multiple widths to the same dimension, you cannot get true parallel cuts, without a fence you have no real referance surface. You cannot get real square cuts.
For use on a jobsite it is great but in a "shop type" environment it has very limited use. Great for "breaking down" plywood but a tablesaw is required to finish those pcs into a square cabinet.:smile:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
questioning your reply

The Festool is a great tool, very convient BUT it will NOT replace a tablesaw. You have no ability to cut multiple widths to the same dimension, you cannot get true parallel cuts, without a fence you have no real referance surface. You cannot get real square cuts.
For use on a jobsite it is great but in a "shop type" environment it has very limited use. Great for "breaking down" plywood but a tablesaw is required to finish those pcs into a square cabinet.:smile:
Thank you so ;much for your reply. Like I said, I am new to woodworking. However, I don't see how this cannot replace a table saw. You measure, make your mark, lay the guide on it, and cut, Perfect and exact, the way I figure. It should be exact, and precisely square. Maybe I am overlooking something. My biggest issue is that I have a fear of the table saw. I do have one, but am trying my best to avoid it. I thought that Festool would allow me to do what the table saw does, without the danger.

Greenfield Rich

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have or go get the MFT you certainly have the ability to make repeated,square cross cuts. Repeated ripping on the other hand I'm not so sure about.

As you already have a table saw, how about making a wood cover to place over it and use it as an addition worksurface?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts