Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Question for anyone that's replaced rails on a bisermeyer style fence.

When you bought the angle iron, did you buy cold rolled or hot rolled.

I can't seem to find cold rolled angle around here, but my issue with hot rolled is it's going to have tapered legs which the tube isn't going to mount flat too....

Any thoughts?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Hey guys,

Question for anyone that's replaced rails on a bisermeyer style fence.

I can't seem to find cold rolled angle around here, but my issue with hot rolled is it's going to have tapered legs which the tube isn't going to mount flat too....

Any thoughts?
Did yours get damaged? I would just buy the proper rail for the fence.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey guys,

Any thoughts?
You won't find cold rolled angle anywhere because they don't make it.

If the taper is uniform from one end to the other, you shouldn't have a problem because it will be the same for the whole lenth of the rail and you can modify your fence square to accent the slight angle it will now put on the square tubing. If your really concerned about it before you weld the tubing to the angle, shim the edge so it is square.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, mines not damaged. I've got a unisaw that is missing the fence, however I have an extra fence body that just needs rails. The rails are 250 bucks, or I can buy the steel for about 60 bucks....so I'm just going to make my own. They do make cold rolled angle, as my current fence has cold rolled angle on it now. The problem is the tube will tip forward If I use hot rolled angle to mount it....

Welding it isn't an option as then I wouldn't be able to remove the fence rails from the saw down the road as the bolts go in between the tube and angle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think most people use hot rolled for this application... cold milled angle iron can be tough to source. But you are right, the tolerances are a lot tighter in cold milled.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well a bit of good news, I did find another source for hot rolled uniform thickness angle, so it's cheaper and easily available.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Think about a thicker tube. The cam lock exerts a ot of pressure on the tube. I bought steel for my fence, and got 3/16" wall, tube. It doesn't move! I wanted 1/8" but the supplier was out of it.
A little extra weight on the old Unisaw, isn't a bad thing.

I recently bought a used Biesemeyer fence with long rails and tube. Mainly bought it for the tube. Mines short. After seeing how thin it is, I may buy another thicker tube. 1/8" to save a few bucks, over 3/16"

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was planning on buying 3/16 tube......its only 10 bucks more for that then the 1/8th inch......

I figured it would also hold the threads better to bolt it to the angle......

What did you paint your rails with? I was planning on rustoleum.....but wasn't sure how well it would hold up....

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I didn't paint my tube. I attached a Starrett tape to it, then waxed it. Wax it, when I wax the table. If I ever paint the saw, I will paint the tube.

Not sure how the tube is suppposed to be mounted, but mine is just over 3/4" from the rail. It's nice to have that 3/4"+ gap, to set 3/4 stock in for small glueing, etc.

If I did it again, I would paint it. Not sure what paint would stand up to the pads, sliding on it.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I didn't paint my tube. I attached a Starrett tape to it, then waxed it. Wax it, when I wax the table. If I ever paint the saw, I will paint the tube.

Oop's double post

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Good move on building your own. I bought one and saw how simple they were and later on other saws built my own. I did have one of the tubes machined on one side though. By the time you mount the angle to the saw then the tube to the angle. It becomes a very stiff setup. I didn't paint them I Just cleaned them up with a sander and treated them with any kind of anti rust spray.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts