Woodworking Talk banner

Federal Influenced Console

5K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  firemedic 
#1 ·
I've really had my nose to the grind stone lately and to be honest haven't had the opportunity to do much enjoyable woodworking lately - it's been all monotonous commercial crap that I truly don't even know how I got sucked into.

So anyway I recently started sneaking a bit of time here and there on one of my last commissions for (probably) the next few years and it's been quite enjoyable. I've only been able to spend a couple hrs on it so far and it still has a long ways to go.

It's a Federal influenced console table with Holly stringing and a fleur de lis inlay. I'll update as it progresses.

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
:laughing: thanks - you obviously haven't seen my shop!... 8k sqft of "clutter"!!!

Only accolades coming from this corner. Really,really nice :thumbsup: A question if I might, was this entire project done with hand tools?

And a question for all, especially those from Socal: Anyone have a source for Holly? Thanks. I've been inspired to broaden my skills.
Yes all hand tools - except the stringing, I used my table saw to slice the 2" wide slices of stringing off of the board. Otherwise, hand tools.

Dry white holly is becoming increasingly difficult to find - luckily a little goes a long way. Try www.woodbarter.com that's how I found what I have. I actually need to send some wood back at that guy.

#30 ·
Lol, well ya better hurry. I'm closing up at the end of Jan! My brother is getting all of my power tools and I'm moving all of my hand tools to LSU where I will be working now.

I'm semi-retired :smile: going to spend the rest of my years working on historic structures, furniture, research, teaching and writing. LSU and my wife got their way, I'm now an employee of the university meaning no more late nights in the shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.