Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to keep up with my list of potions and concoctions I have gleaned from the internet but I can never find it when I need it. I need an effective, and cost effective, water repellent for over eleven thousand square feet of siding and fencing.

Many woodworkers have a favorite homebrew that they use for a certain finish like I have heard of everything from mixing diesel and transmission fluid, to linseed oil and lacquer thinner. :blink:

My personal interest right now is more in water repellents than anything, but I thought instead of just asking about my need that it might be convenient for us all to have a place to go and read about any kind of wood finish, preservative, insecticde, fungicide, mildicide, repellent, or anything to do with a homemade concoction you have seen or especially personally mixed up and used and can give an opinion on.

I realize this might not be many of us, but who knows maybe so.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll go first.

I have used a 50/50 mix of bleach and water on loblolly pine to kill mildew and blue stain (on the surface) with a 100% success rate. It also whitened the pine significantly.

I don't know how it would effect the coloration of other species but on SYP it sure makes it look pretty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts