Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s your guys favorite finishing ways. Examples like using weather wash to make wood look old, putting different stains together to make a look, favorite stain and top coats etc., and what you like to put on certain woods.

· The Nut in the Cellar
1,985 Posts
Define the universe and give three examples.

Everyone has their faves and they may differ based on the wood species being finished. Is the piece being colored or left natural? What is the intended use for the completed piece? Do you have spraying equipment and space? I do hand applied finishes, including shellac, danish oil, oil and water based stains and dyes, oil based polyurethane varnish, and wax. Others use various lacquers, tinted and clear. I learned the basics by reading (does anyone read anymore?) books on wood finishing I found at the local public library and eventually purchased a few for reference.

Reactions: B Coll

· Registered
29,448 Posts
What’s your guys favorite finishing ways. Examples like using weather wash to make wood look old, putting different stains together to make a look, favorite stain and top coats etc., and what you like to put on certain woods.
I don't think I have one. Each project has different needs. You could use a certain wood for a project in a dry location and use a completely different finish if it were in a wet location.

· Premium Member
4,781 Posts
If I’m not using an oil, virtually everything I build gets a seal coat of shellac. I rarely stain wood unless it’s to even out the tone or match a decor.

Cherry is my favorite wood, but it can vary in color, I use tinted shellac with alcohol based dyes. It really makes it pop, especially if figured. The last piece I topcoated with ArmRSeal and really like that, too. Its‘s about as bomb proof as oil.

Oil and shellac are made for walnut. I haven’t tried it, but I’ve been impressed at the look a Rubio Mono coat on walnut.

I struggled for a long time with finishing, and I think it’s best to find one or two methods, get good with them, and stick with them.

· Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
6,601 Posts
Probably 95% of what I do gets finished in Nitrocellulose lacquer and the remaining pieces get Shellac, usually French polish. Best I can recall I've never used poly but I have used BLO and Danish oil on occasion years ago.

Most of the woods I use are fine domestic like Walnut, Cherry, Maple, Curly Maple and exotics and as such, I have rarely used a stain.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
T
If I’m not using an oil, virtually everything I build gets a seal coat of shellac. I rarely stain wood unless it’s to even out the tone or match a decor.

Cherry is my favorite wood, but it can vary in color, I use tinted shellac with alcohol based dyes. It really makes it pop, especially if figured. The last piece I topcoated with ArmRSeal and really like that, too. Its‘s about as bomb proof as oil.

Oil and shellac are made for walnut. I haven’t tried it, but I’ve been impressed at the look a Rubio Mono coat on walnut.

I struggled for a long time with finishing, and I think it’s best to find one or two methods, get good with them, and stick with them.
thanks

· Registered
1,650 Posts
I like what Jim Frye said, it depends on what I am making, how it will be used, and the durability required. I do prefer to spray, but I do not always spray. My go to clear for durability is Pre-cat Conversion varnish. If I am doing pigmented and it is a small project I like pre-cat lacquer, but I do not have a dedicated spray booth so I limit it to smaller projects. Larger pigmented projects I have started using SW Kem-Aqua Plus. If durability is not as much an issue I also like BM Advance. For furniture pieces I like to mix shellac and do not use stain, but will add some toner to shellac. I will often top coat with conversion varnish or a WB lacquer such as Target EM6000.

· Premium Member
6,954 Posts
I rarely ever stain. I use various woods to give me the color/effect I want. I use Red oak, white oak, curly maple, birdseye maple, padauk, purple heart or whatever for the color.
I always use Pre-catalyzed lacquer whether clear or colored and spray it on.

For a weather look, I will spray a clear coat of Pre-cat Lacquer and let it dry for around an hour. Then I use Zenith Water Base Tinted Powder Glaze. I brush it on the entire surface, let it dry to a powder in around 20 minutes. Then wipe it off (with a synthetic Mirlon pad) just enough leaving the surface with the weathered look you desired. Wait around another 20 or 30 minutes and then top coat with Pre-Cat Lacquer.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rarely ever stain. I use various woods to give me the color/effect I want. I use Red oak, white oak, curly maple, birdseye maple, padauk, purple heart or whatever for the color.
I always use Pre-catalyzed lacquer whether clear or colored and spray it on.

For a weather look, I will spray a clear coat of Pre-cat Lacquer and let it dry for around an hour. Then I use Zenith Water Base Tinted Powder Glaze. I brush it on the entire surface, let it dry to a powder in around 20 minutes. Then wipe it off (with a synthetic Mirlon pad) just enough leaving the surface with the weathered look you desired. Wait around another 20 or 30 minutes and then top coat with Pre-Cat Lacquer.
————— do you have a picture of your finished process

1 - 13 of 13 Posts