Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of these plastic masks at Michaels the other day and thought I would faux paint it to look like some Zircote venner we are working on in the shop recently for a big job. I used artists oil paints for the graining and did some toning using alcohol dye stains. I sealed between layers of graining with 2k urethane sealer (TA44 Ilva) and top coated with 2k acrylic urethane in a 50 degree sheen. I'm still thinking what I can do to it so I guess it isn't finished yet. The veneer is layed up on a fire retardant chip board so I also put bondo on the edges and grained them to match also.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
That's really neat. I wouldn't change anything.

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
It looks good to me. I would leave like it is. What I would like to know is how you got the artist oil paint to dry. It normally takes a couple of weeks for it to cure.

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just thin it with mineral spirits or VM&P depending on how much I need to blend and spray over it right away (as soon as it turns dull). Thin coats of sealer (like a wash coat) and the hot solvent in the seal coat flashes off the oil paint. I push it as hard as I can to see when it goes bad so I'll know when I have a rush touch up job. The mask has about 3 layers of color on it and I did it all in one day at work with a thin seal coat between each layer of color.

I have had some of these for years and never had any issues and I do adhesion tests and never had a problem with either 2k urethane, lacquer or CV. I use special brushes for graining and I don't put on really heavy impasto coats but thin brushed glaze coats.

I also use artist acrylics and Creative airbrush colors as well but you just can't beat oil colors for blending.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts