Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really into the shabby chic, fake distressed thing, but my wife certainly is. Over the years I've built a lot of things that she's painted, stained, scraped, beat, sanded, scratched, poked and loved. I digress...

She forwarded me a pic of a coffee table she wanted me to build and this is the result.

Random thoughts/facts:

Made from 2x6, 2x4 and 1x12s,
M&T joinery except for the cross pieces, which are just glued.
I used 3/8" dowels through the tenons to hold the breadboard ends in place
Feels weird sanding with 80 grit sandpaper.
I'm soaking some steel wool in vinegar right now to age the wood before adding a dark stain to it this weekend.

More pics to come.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Looks great can't wait to see a picture when it's finished.

Reactions: Taylormade

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've used the vinegar steel wool trick once. If it doesn't get as dark as you want, brew up some tea with 10 bags of the cheap stuff and wipe it on before another application of iron solution.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I just lost a little bit of my soul. I'm back from beating up perfectly good wood (albeit pine). I think I heard it screaming "why?!?!", Nancy Kerrigan style, while I was beating it with a chain and bolts... oh, and nunchucks. Knew I held on to those for a good reason. Chisels, screwdrivers, owl, handsaws and a few other odds and ends rounded up the torturing.

I took my time and each board was sacrificed individually, to preserve the "hey, this is old wood I salvaged, not kiln dried stud lumber I bought on Sunday and beat the hell out of three days later" theme. I think it'll come out nicely.

I've darn near perfected my distressing/aging techniques as my wife had space in a vintage store we used to sell a lot of my work in. Between the vinegar/steel wool, rusty nails, baking soda, shoe polish, coffee grinds, tea, spray paint, propane torch, glazing, etc, I've been exposed to a lot.

Here's the shelf that hangs above our bed.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I forgot to mention that I got in on the coaster craze this holiday season. I made a ton and experimented with different finishes. These are the remaining ones that need to be delivered.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Kewl coasters. :thumbsup: I have a ton of scraps, I think I need to make some coasters.

So how did the table turn out? Its hard to tell with only little bits showing under the coasters.

Its almost a felony crime to beat up brand new wood, but sometimes its the only way to give them what they want.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks buddy. The table came out pretty cool actually. I didn't take pics of it because it's tough to show without any color added to it, but I think it'll look really neat. I did a lot of worm holes, gouges, bumps, bruises, etc. The vinegar solution should be ready in the morning and I'll apply it then in the afternoon, I'll start with some other concoctions to darken it some more. I'll be sure to take pics along the way.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Alright, it's a beautiful morning here in sunny Tampa. I opened the door to the workshop (garage) to find it a rather pleasant 65 degrees. Perfect! I coated the table with the vinegar solution and it's soaking in nicely. You can see the progress in the pics below.

Initial soaking

Aging (drying) in progress

Drying some more...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
You suck....I woke up to -17 this morning....yes....82 degrees colder than Tampa.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, so I had to open the garage door to air it out in there... vinegar was pretty potent. NOWWW we're down to 57, so while you boys may be cold up there, it's so cold here, I had to put on slippers! People ask me "how do you deal with the heat down there in August??" This. This is why. The weather here is perfect from December to mid-April.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, she's dry enough now for me to continue on with the rest of the finishing job. Here's where we are now:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, next up spray paint and stain. The spray paint gives the wood another layer of depth... weathering if you will. I spray it on in key areas, leave it for maybe 2 minutes, and then apply stain right on top of it. I feather out the spray paint with the stain and wipe it off. I'll let this sit until 5 or 6 tonight and check back on it to see where we stand.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Now its starting to look like the tables I remember at my Grandda's hunting lodge up in the mountains of NY. This pile of 2x stock is looking like a well planed piece of very old furniture.

Well done! :thumbsup:

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts

Over the years ... she's painted, stained, scraped, beat, sanded, scratched, poked and loved. I digress...
And that's just what she does to YOU! :laughing:

The table's looking really cool. Your "aging" methods are working quite well. I like the coasters too.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Table is looking good. Really taking shape. Your BB ends might create some expansion problems, but, maybe that would look good.:yes:

BTW...Some pretty cool footies you got there.:laughing:
Yeah, I agree, but whatever. I'll adjust as necessary. The lumber stock was kiln dried... that's as best as I got. The rest is wait and see.

And that's just what she does to YOU! :laughing:

The table's looking really cool. Your "aging" methods are working quite well. I like the coasters too.
Thanks bubba, I saw you did a thread on coasters and said "oh hell naw, if Mr Retired has time, I have time...." :yes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts