Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my first big project and the first thing I've built using my table saw. I learned a lot (epoxy use for the knots, panel glue up using cauls, stain and poly use and most importantly...you can never have enough clamps). I used this site for help numerous times and wanted to say thanks for all the advice that was given.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Looks great. Well done. I'm sure it'll serve you well for many years. If that's your first "big project" you deserve a lot of credit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
that looks really, really awesome. I really like how the stain popped the differences in grain, the finish looks beautiful, the table looks solid, rustic and contemporary at the same time. Great build.

How did you do the joinery? whats the bottom stretcher? lapped in?

how did you make your breadboards? i've had trouble with them in the past and would love to read how you did it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that looks really, really awesome. I really like how the stain popped the differences in grain, the finish looks beautiful, the table looks solid, rustic and contemporary at the same time. Great build.

How did you do the joinery? whats the bottom stretcher? lapped in?

how did you make your breadboards? i've had trouble with them in the past and would love to read how you did it.
The center stretcher was notched into the 4x4 cross stretchers and both the legs and the cross stretchers were notched to mate. I then glued and screwed the joints. I disguised the area that were visible and screwed by countersinking holes, driving screws and then filling with dyed epoxy to give the look of plugs (see pics).

The table top was glued together and the breadboards were attached with pocket hole screws and glue. The breadboards were a challenge. The is no good way to clamp them to the table while you glue/screw. I tried many different clamping arrangements, even trying ratcheting straps. Most things I tried would pull the breadboards out of alignment. I finally found a combo of straps and parallel clamps that worked ok. I don't care for pocket hole screws in this type of situation as they never seem to pull joints tight, but oddly enough, I needed them here to help bring the faces together so the glue could adhere.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top