Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Raffan's book, "Turning Wood", thinking I'd find some definitive instructions on faceplate turning, using a glue and paper method, etc. I also watched the video found on this woodturning forum, entitled "1 1/8" x 12 tpi chuck?" posted by Dynikus (The video was listed by NCPaladin).

Both were good, but in neither one did I find the instruction someone new to this needs in using a faceplate and the glue/paper method. So my question is, where can I get info for a beginner?

My faceplate is 4" diameter and a piece of wood the same size is already screwed to it (with a smooth front face). What size maximum bowl can I turn? What type of glue? What kind of paper?

Any help appreciated.

·
7,222 Posts
My faceplate is 4" diameter and a piece of wood the same size is already screwed to it (with a smooth front face). What size maximum bowl can I turn? What type of glue? What kind of paper?

Any help appreciated.
4in is a decent size.

Not easy to advise a maximum. Too many variables for how imbalanced the piece can be when you start. Speed, diamemter, how out of balance, etc.

Just getting the piece mounted askew causes a lot of vibration, as I found out with a 12in platter. The blank was close to round but as I mounted on the worm screw, the screw was not 90 deg to the surface. I was surprised by how much vibration this caused.

You should be able to get at least 8 - 10 in, but if you want to be conservative, then glue the wood block directly to the bowl blank. It means parting off the glued block, not a big deal.

Any of the yellow glues should work. I like to keep only one type on hand since it does have a finite shelf life. I use Titebond III, but Titebond I, or II or any of the competitor yellow glues should be fine. Just need two smooth surfaces with no gaps.

As for the paper, I have not seen any specification. Some posts talked about brown paper bags. I rarely have these. I do have two large rolls of a white paper, so I use this.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The other info is good so I don't have much to add.

You do not say what you are turning.
If dry stock then the paper and wood glue should work just fine.
If wet wood the yellow glue may not cure properly and I suggest CA as it will cure with the wet wood.
The glue block itself should always be dry.

Here are a couple of videos by Lyle Jamieson who turns green and uses glue blocks almost exclusively.

Note he makes just the edges flat (maybe 5/8" wide?) and the interior is slightly concave to insure a good fit to the the outside edges. He breaks apart with a rap with a chisel just like the paper joints in dry wood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a couple of books with nice pics and looking pretty only to find that a lot of the real info you need is not in they allways assume you are an expert. Which alas we are not

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
How about gluing a lump of anyold wood to a wooden faceplate block and trying it out .
Do a few different ones , try out glues and papers .
As well as getting some idea of what is involved , you will get more turning practice in .
Become your own expert .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts