Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm about to start te remodel on my bathroom, and I was thinking about making a vanity top, and using a undermount sink. I was thinking about using hard maple.

Now the question, is there a finish that is duarable enough to repell all the water spash of a sink + all the moisture of a hot shower? I was thinking something of a satin finish.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Ben I am about to go down the same road. I was looking to pour a flood coat of epoxy. Make sure the wood stabilizes to the EMC the bathroom will have, and coat both sides of the top.

I will defer to Big Dave if he has different advice because he has alot of experinece with this very thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have to agree with TexasT, the epoxy is the best. You are under mounting the sink so moisture will be able to really get at the grain of the counter. The epoxy will completely seal the wood, ensure you do the under side aswell were the sink is located. I have used expoxy on both wood and concrete counters. The only draw back is that it gives a very glossy finish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ben I am about to go down the same road. I was looking to pour a flood coat of epoxy. Make sure the wood stabilizes to the EMC the bathroom will have, and coat both sides of the top.

I will defer to Big Dave if he has different advice because he has alot of experinece with this very thing.

I'm sorry guys, but what is EMC?

Come on' Big Dave I need some help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Just got home from working. Like everyone has said you need to use the epoxy but it will be glossy. There is no satin finish in the epoxy.

Here is a link to what everyone is talking about. http://www.eclecticproducts.com/GlazeCoat.htm#

I have never used this brand but I'm pretty sure they are all the same.

Just follow the instructions. If you goof it up on the first try you will just have to pour another coat over the top of the first.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I might have to rethink this whole thing, I really don't want a thick glossy surface.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I'm sorry guys, but what is EMC?
EMC is equilibrium moisture content http://www.csgnetwork.com/emctablecalc.html

Which is a toughy in a bathroom (unless it is very well ventilated) because of the temp and relative humidity swings. In general terms EMC is wood that has stabilized to the point that it will not gain or lose water (drastic amounts) from it's fibers due to the change in environment. This reabsorption and then redrying of the wood makes it shrink and swell, not good. Having said that, well dried wood totally encased in epoxy would not be subject to the environment. It is sealed and protected.

·
Registered
92 Posts
EMC is equilibrium moisture content http://www.csgnetwork.com/emctablecalc.html

Which is a toughy in a bathroom (unless it is very well ventilated) because of the temp and relative humidity swings. In general terms EMC is wood that has stabilized to the point that it will not gain or lose water (drastic amounts) from it's fibers due to the change in environment. This reabsorption and then redrying of the wood makes it shrink and swell, not good. Having said that, well dried wood totally encased in epoxy would not be subject to the environment. It is sealed and protected.
Holy crap.....that is the biggest log I think I have heard squeazed out today....well said "but holy crap....":laughing: the fan needs to be left on after that one....:laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts