Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've reached the point in my life to where I can't see $h*t up close. So I have to wear readers +2.0 my question is what do you guys put on your eye glasses to keep the dust off? Is there anything out there that will repel the dust?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, when I'm ripping on my RAS I use a face shield. That keeps the dust off my readers - of course it just builds up on the face shield.

I've just resigned myself to having dust/grime/oil/etc. build up to the point where it begins to interfere with the functionality of my readers - then clean them off. If there is some sort of coating that will allow the dust to be easily blown off, sign me up for a case of it.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I'm in the same situation as Steve. The biggest problem is if you end up with polycarbonate lenses. Even with the "scratch resistant" coatings, I can trash a pair in less than a year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I was afraid of, nothing to do but just keep wiping them off. I guess I was hoping there was something out there that would repel the dust. Hey, maybe that could be my next project find some solution that repels sawdust from glasses, I could make millions!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Just come up from my shop and had the wife read this post for me...

Never needed glasses till the age of 45... I'm grateful life has thrown me a few more challenges. When my grand daughter asked me why I was so old - I told her it's because I'm lucky! Age keeps throwing challenges at us and we will never resolve. We simply need to learn to live with them.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Try working outside on a hot sunny day and you not only have dust to deal with but dust mixed with sweat. :thumbdown:

Be happy that you can still clean your glasses and keep a clean rag close by.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Actually there is something that will help. The dust is attracted by static electricity; that can be reduced or eliminated by a simple method: dryer sheets. Get a used one ( a new one makes a real mess) and rub your lenses with it. I keep a box in the shop just for that purpose. A plug for my employer when I had a day job: Bounce or Downy sheets :laughing:. This works for your face shield as well. Give it a try and see how it works for you......

Reactions: sweensdv

·
Registered
470 Posts
This brings back a little life history that's actually funny even as aggravating as eye glasses can be.

Keep in mind about how many times per day a little dust or specks on the lens requires cleaning at present. A few years into the future how many times a day is cleaning required. We seem to learn to look through or around those pesky particles as the chronograph progresses.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Frequent cleaning, thou I will try Fred's suggestion of the used dryer sheets. :) I use the bifocal safety glasses because they are much cheaper to replace if they get scratched. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts