Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to trim out a job and have a slight hiccup. The house is framed inside a metal shop and for the windows to sit at exterior of the building it caused the box to be 11 inches deep to the Sheetrock. The sides and top and sheet rocked to the window I just have to put in sills.

I generally like to leave around 1 inch or more on my notches. But that puts me at 12 inches minimum. What could I used that gets me a minimum of 12? Thought about calling my local cabinet shop and seeing if he could help me any.

·
Registered
28,572 Posts
If it were me I would get some pressure treated pine and let it dry for a month. Then glue up the wood with an exterior glue such as titebond III. Just remember to make the sill on a 14 degree angle so any water drains off. If it's available in your area they make a treated wood that is kiln dried after it was treated, otherwise known as KDAT. This would make it ready for immediate use.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have specified it’s the interior side like the window stool? I have just always called it the sill. I have a jointer and thought about joining some poplar or something a little harder but worried the sun would damage it. The windows are treated to have zero energy pass through so maybe that solves that problem?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
25 years ago i needed a deep interior door frame and didn't want to go to hd one more time. i did have good veneer plywood and edge banding, so i used that. still looks good today. nobody has noticed, not even my brother, whom would happily point it out.

·
where's my table saw?
31,679 Posts
I am about to trim out a job and have a slight hiccup. The house is framed inside a metal shop and for the windows to sit at exterior of the building it caused the box to be 11 inches deep to the Sheetrock. The sides and top and sheet rocked to the window I just have to put in sills.
I generally like to leave around 1 inch or more on my notches. But that puts me at 12 inches minimum. What could I used that gets me a minimum of 12? Thought about calling my local cabinet shop and seeing if he could help me any.
I guess I should have specified it’s the interior side like the window stool? I have just always called it the sill. I have a jointer and thought about joining some poplar or something a little harder but worried the sun would damage it. The windows are treated to have zero energy pass through so maybe that solves that problem?
I would do exactly what you stated. Use poplar edge glued, and get it wide enough for your 12" sills. there are no moisture issues too speak ou, some condensation, maybe. Poplar is a great interior wood, paints very well and easy to mill. I trimmed my woodshop windows in Poplar and they look great. There are some good window tinting films that will reduce the rays from the sun, kinda technical about which film will be best for your application. My son' apartment had tremendous heat gain from the Western sun. He tinted the three windows and said it reduced the temperature dramatically.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts