Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else pre-assemble EJ's and casing, and install them as one unit? I learned this from an old timer back in my apprenticeship, and have always done it this way on new construction. The only reason I ask is that a carpenter I hired made a big deal today about never seeing it before. That just got me curious about how many guys utilize this method. In good square openings it works well, in wacked out old openings on remodels, I usually build in place. Having been fortunate enough to have worked in different areas of the country, I've always enjoyed seeing different methods for doing the same thing.

Regards, BULL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I do the same thing. Build it on the floor and then install. I'll get all my window sizes and make list for parts then cut all the parts and build and install. I'll even set a stop on the mitre saw and just start cutting til I have enough of that size then move on to the next.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Dave, I do the stop chop as well. I like to throw a few sheets of plywood on horses and have a nice big assembly table. I can usually do most, except for the big mamas, at waist high comfort.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Seems like the best way to do it if you can. You get nice tight joinery that way. Caulk on top of Oak would look bad hahaha. I'm working on a bank of 4 windows 17' long right now. If I tried it on the floor I'd probably end up in a bad place. But I'm using MDF so I can get a 1/4 bead of caulk in there to clean up my mistakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do it all the time.It's fast and they come out perfect.If you glue and nail your miters you can even tweek the mouldings to rest flat on the wall without a problem down the road.
Doug M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts