Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Craftsman Midi Lathe in 2014 (mod 217520) and didn't get the extension bed at that time. Now I have need for it and haven't been able to find one. At the time I thought it looked exactly like either a Rikon or Jet model (I forget which).
Tire Musical instrument Wheel Automotive design Machine

This what it looks like. Similar Jet and Rikon models have some cosmetic differences.

Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
I have thought about making one for my Jet midi. I don't think it would be too hard to make one from hardwood. Make it strudy with some 1/4" thick bars screwed to the top to hold the tail stock and tools support. It only needs to be resonably straight; not machine shop straight.
If you can find one of a different brand that is close, I think it should be possible to adapt it. You would really only need to figure out how to attach it to the one you have. The most important factor would be the distance between the ways so your tail stock will fit.

· Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have thought about making one for my Jet midi. I don't think it would be too hard to make one from hardwood. Make it strudy with some 1/4" thick bars screwed to the top to hold the tail stock and tools support. It only needs to be resonably straight; not machine shop straight.
If you can find one of a different brand that is close, I think it should be possible to adapt it. You would really only need to figure out how to attach it to the one you have. The most important factor would be the distance between the ways so your tail stock will fit.
Scott Lee put me on the right track; my lathe appears to be a Rikon 70-100 and the extension bed is available For $153 from Woodcraft and Rockler.

· Registered
29,471 Posts
I bought a Craftsman Midi Lathe in 2014 (mod 217520) and didn't get the extension bed at that time. Now I have need for it and haven't been able to find one. At the time I thought it looked exactly like either a Rikon or Jet model (I forget which).
View attachment 445077
This what it looks like. Similar Jet and Rikon models have some cosmetic differences.

Any help would be appreciated.
I believe your model number is 351.217520. The lathe must have been out of surface for a long time. Even simple repair parts are unavailable. The only way you are going to get an extension is to find one that someone is parting out on ebay or have a welder fabricate one. For less than it would cost to have someone fabricate one you could either buy a bigger used lathe or buy the wood lathe Harbor Freight sells. It's a good lathe if you don't rotate the head the way it's designed to. It just won't last long if you use that function. .

· where's my table saw?
32,666 Posts
Because I can cut and weld metal, I would look into replacing the existing bed with 5" C" channel to what ever length is needed.
It looks like the bed is made from brake folded steel about 1/8" thick. I done a lot of metal bending and also a lot of welding with "C" channel, so it would be an easy conversion for me.
Wood Gas Machine Cooking Engineering

· Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like the Rikon 70-100 in my shop. Can you add a picture of the end where the extension would bolt on?
When I go down to the shop later I'll take some pics. Thanks for taking the time to help.
Not sure if the pictures will be there.

It looks like the Rikon 70-100 in my shop. Can you add a picture of the end where the extension would bolt on?

· Registered
Retired
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great! I love it when something works out.
This is what the extension bed for the 70-100 looks like. I can see how it'd mate up with my/your lathe but I can see how it might not.
Rectangle Sunglasses Goggles Bag Automotive exterior

I have a friend with a milling machine who might be able to mill any adjustments that'd need to be made. I guess it's worth a $144 gamble.
Rectangle Sunglasses Goggles Bag Automotive exterior

1 - 13 of 13 Posts